Starfish thrives in the world’s most demanding storage landscapes
High Performance Computing
Starfish is the only reporting and unstructured data management solution in the industry today that works at HPC scale. Some of the world’s largest and most demanding HPC centers have vetted Starfish. Their environments are characterized by extremely high file counts, rapid and widespread churn, and enormous capacities. Starfish provides life cycle management and essential insights into capacity consumption.
Pharmaceutical / Biotech / Life Sciences
Starfish is a go-to solution in the life sciences. Clients include Top 10 pharmas as well as leading biotech firms, biomedical research labs, government labs, and EDU labs. Starfish excels at:
- Instrumentation workflows
- Downstream data classification and management
- Data ROT (Redundant, Obsolete, and Trivial) cleanup
- Archive automation
Starfish is also great for cloud bursting and AI workflow management.
Starfish was initially built for scientific research data management; in fact, many of our early customers were grant-funded EDU research facilities. Today, research organizations rely on Starfish to:
- Maintain good storage hygiene
- Conform to data management plans
- Facilitate open access to raw data that supports published findings
- Optimize use of tier-1 storage, relegating less important data to object and/or cloud storage
With Starfish, data curation begins when files are first created
Starfish is in production in government labs in the U.S. and abroad. U.S. government clients include DOE labs, NIH divisions, NIST, CDC, USDA, and the Federal Reserve. Starfish is also deployed at the European Bioinformatics Institute and the Australian CSIRO.
Starfish is deployed at several of the world’s largest hedge funds where it:
- Tracks dependencies
- Runs data protection workflows
- Manages archives
- Provides detailed capacity reporting on billions of files spread across NAS and HPC file systems
These file systems are often quite complex, containing deep directory trees, and even symlinks that point to other symlinks.
Oil and Gas / Energy
When it comes to managing data upstream in the oil and gas discovery process, Starfish shines. It excels at:
- High volume data transfer
- Data ROT cleanup
- Compliance of licensed data sets
- Content classification
Museums and Libraries
Starfish is ideal for managing digital preservation workflows and is the ultimate storage management foundation for digital asset management. It can:
- Automate data integrity checks
- Replicate objects based on policies
- Provide a system of UUIDs or DOIs
- Extract metadata from file headers
Starfish can also serve as a global namespace for organizations with multiple asset management systems and content catalogs.
Semiconductor / Electronic Design Automation
Unlike conventional enterprise file-management solutions, Starfish is designed for high-churn environments that have billions of small files and extensive use of symbolic links. These are the hallmarks of large-scale electronic design automation sites. Starfish is also great for mapping directory trees to specific projects and enforcing data retention rules.